Are you looking for a delicious way to prepare this heart healthy vegetable? Are you bored of the same old recipes. I mixed it up a bit for you by adding in squash and flavoring with citrus. (See my article on Ditch the Salt and Flavor Foods with Heart Healthy Citrus!) This yummy Brussels sprouts recipe is low sodium, easy, and delicious. A bit of olive oil adds some heart healthy fat. Simple spices and lemon add the flavor. You won’t miss the salt at all!
What You’ll Need
You’ll need a good knife and a saute pan–a cutting board too. That’s about it! You should have lemons in the house at all times, especially if you cook low sodium.
This dish is super easy to make! Here are some tips.
- It is important that you cut the vegetables into similar sizes, so that they cook evenly. You don’t want mushy squash and hard Brussels.
- Another trick is to cook the Brussels sprouts for 90 seconds or so in the microwave to soften them a but before the saute. This is optional, but it can speed up the process.
Brussels sprouts are a cruciferous vegetable. That means it’s high in Vitamin K (bone health and blood clotting), Vitamin C, and folate (antioxidants).
Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage contain vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. This power family of vegetables helps decrease inflammation and stabilize blood sugar levels.
Yellow squash has plenty of health benefits too. This often overlooked vegetable is a great source of Vitamin C, folate, fiber, and betacarotene.
Both are super low in calories with only 30-40 calories in a cup!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Drop a comment and let me know your favorite variations. And don’t forget to check out the other delicious recipes on the blog!
Healthy Brussels Sprouts with Squash
- 1 Chopping knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Saute pan
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ tsp black pepper or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning basil, parsely, oregano
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts quartered
- 1 large yellow or summer squash sliced into coins and then halved
- ½ medium lemon
- Slice Brussels sprouts. I quartered the Brussels sprouts. If they are very small you can half them.
- Slice the squash into coins. Then half them. If it is a large squash, you may want to quarter it. It is important that the vegetables are sliced small enough to cook quickly.
- Chop two garlic cloves and set aside. You can use a 1/2 tsp garlic powder if you don't have garlic.
- Heat olive oil over low/medium heat for 2 minutes. Be careful as olive oil can easily burn.
- Add garlic and Brussels sprouts. Give it a stir and turn up the heat a bit. It should be over medium heat. Watch it carefully.
- Two minutes later, add the squash, pepper, and spices and cook another 4 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Remember to stir and don't overcook as they will be mushy.
- Once the dish is done, turn off the heat and squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the vegetables.
- Let is sit for 30 seconds for the flavors to blend.